Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: I can read your mind

Super Moderator

Default Re: I can read your mind

Quote Originally Posted by Area51_Hacker2
    So your saying that anything with seeds (botanically speaking) is a fruit?
    "In botany, a fruit is the ripened ovary—together with seeds—of a flowering plant. In many species, the fruit incorporates the ripened ovary and the surrounding tissues. Fruits are the means by which flowering plants disseminate seeds."

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruit

we learned that in school but that says nothing saying that a fruit isn't a vegetable, just what classifies something as a fruit :P
    This is my siggy. I'll make it better when I stop being lazy

Super Moderator

maybe the best answer if tomato is fruit or vegetable? and why in school tomato is taught as fruit but if you go to malls and want to buy it, you can only find it vegetables section and not in fruits section.. is because botany subject or even the botanist has no definition for vegetable .. botanist only describe plants part which is stem, root, leaves, fruit, flower etc .. and you can't find any vegetables anywhere there ..

on the other hand in culinary or cuisine it has a different definition from botanist both for fruits and vegetables

Culinary Definition of Fruits
    "In cuisine, when discussing fruit as food, the term usually refers to those plant fruits that are sweet and fleshy"

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruit

Culinary Definition of Vegetables
    The term "vegetable" generally refers to the edible part of a plant. The definition is traditional rather than scientific. It is somewhat arbitrary and subjective, as it is determined by individual cultural customs of cooking and food preparation.
    In general, with some exceptions, any herbaceous plant or plant part which is regularly eaten as food by humans, would normally be considered to be a vegetable. Vegetables are very often eaten cooked. Some, such as carrots, bell peppers and celery are quite commonly eaten either raw or cooked; while others, such as potato, are traditionally eaten only when cooked.
    Mushrooms, though belonging to the biological kingdom Fungi, are also loosely considered as vegetables.
    In general, vegetables are regarded by cooks as being most suitable for savory or salted dishes, rather than sweet dishes,

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetables

so to conclude tomato is consider as botanical fruit and also a Vegetables in cuisine.

A list of vegetables defined as different parts of plants
    * Botanical fruit: tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins, capsicums (bell peppers and hot peppers), eggplant, tomatillos, christophene, okra

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetables

Every Part of the Plant is both a fruit and a vegetable.

End of topic!

Remember to always click the thanks button of those who help you! It makes them feel wanted:

but that's not true, because not every part is a fruit!

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Area51_Hacker2
    Every Part of the Plant is both a fruit and a vegetable.

End of topic!
    hahahahaha from what science subject, dictionary, encyclopedia, website, people etc.. you got that idea .. you need to have a source to prove your statement .. especially you miss this part

The term "vegetable" generally refers to the edible part of a plant.
    a banana leaves is not vegetable because for obvious reason its not EDIBLE

why isn't it edible? put some honey mustard dressing on it and I'd eat it :9

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by itsmeGames
    why isn't it edible? put some honey mustard dressing on it and I'd eat it :9
    thats new for me .. i never saw nor heard someone eats a banana leaves until now ..

I haven't tried it, but now I want too

one thing I do eat that people think is weird are mango peels, they taste better than the actual mango if you ask me :9

Case settled. Someone lock this topic! Please I am begging you.

Remember to always click the thanks button of those who help you! It makes them feel wanted: