Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Animal Crossing 3DS and a concept...

Blog Entries

Default Animal Crossing 3DS and a concept...

So I was having an interesting conversation the other day (possibly with Shawn?) and an intriguing concept came up. As I'm sure you're all aware of, we're firmly against piracy here at Game-Hackers. So the question became, what steps can we take to prevent pirated software from being used with our next line of software, specifically our Animal Crossing software. We were throwing around ideas, and one particular concept came up that is both interesting from a programming standpoint and complicated for a pirate to avoid. Here's the basic premise:

Instead of accepting a "standard" save format (either extracted via a 3rd-party device or homebrew application), the PC software would accept a streamed, possibly encrypted save via our homebrew application that would require the game card be inserted in order to stream. This eliminates a hard-copy of the save file and requires a legitimate copy of the game to use the software. The downsides, of course, would include the need to run the 3DS hardware in order to access your save, the need for a wireless network for streaming, and the use of a PC for the actual software. This would obviously eliminate the use of pirated software with our product, but would increase the number of "hoops" to jump through in order for legitimate users to enjoy the software.

So the question (and real reason for this topic) is: What would your thoughts be, as a user, on the requirements for the next generation of software? Obviously this is just an early concept, and makes quite a few assumptions about 3DS homebrew, but would eliminating the possibility of piracy be worth this extra effort for the average user? Is streaming the save an easier solution than extracting/installing saves (the current model)? Voice your opinions below!
    Animal Crossing: City Folk
    ACToolkit - NPC_Tool - PattView

I would be very interested in the possibility but I would wait and see what Nintendo achieve with the 3ds console in terms of anti piracy.

Remember to always click the thanks button of those who help you! It makes them feel wanted:

Blog Entries

Now does save streaming seem more convenient as the average user, or would you prefer a hard-copy of the save?

Well how would you create a back up of a stream. In hard copy's of the save you could just keep a second one somewhere I do not know how you would
    create a back up with a stream, it would suck to make a mistake and not have a back up.
    Last edited by DNAPRODUCTIONS; 10-27-2010 at 12:36 PM. Reason: typo

Blog Entries

There would be some type of hard-copy, just nothing that would be directly transferrable back to the game. The hard-copy would be some arbitrary file type that is parsed by the PC software. Any true changes would still have to be streamed back to the homebrew application to be saved. Basically, the software would not be directly compatible with the actual gamesave. That way we can handle how the save is taken from memory and in what way it gets to the PC software.

Blog Entries

I remember you talking about this. I personally think it'd be an awesome idea. Most people with a 3DS would probably have a wireless network anyway, and it would make editing much faster.
    Always willing to help with anything, code-related or not. :]

Yeah, sounds good in theory. This is all presuming that there WILL be 3DS homebrew. HBC team still hasn't come out with accesible-for-most-homebrew for the DSi... I guess you can use Wintermute's exploit, but that's only for the more technology advanced...
    http://siestacat.webs.com/GetAttachment.jpg

I personally think it's a lot of work to go through in order to protect them when they are doing everything in their power to stop everything you do. If they wanted to they could allow some of the HB programs so that we wouldn't have to hack to use them, but they won't. They won't even allow you to save a backup of your game. Piracy is their fight not ours and they have the means and money to combat it.

I like this idea, although I think Nintendo is gong to have pirating already blocked out itself with the deadly SpotPass updates.

What'll be more interesting for hacking the 3DS is the fact that some AR device, when detected will in the future break the whole system. I think the way to do this is going to be an AR-type device for the DSi/DS lite that can fit 3DS games and copy their data and put it onto an SD card, allowing save file editing in a method similar to AC toolkit. Plus, save file editing in that method would be virtually undetectable.

Wouldn't it be possible to do something like waninkoko's savegame extractor and savegame installer? (not the one with both, there you don't need to have the game disc inserted, i mean the one where the extractor and installer are seperate apps..) So you could insert a game, dump the savegame onto the SD card and there you go! This would be way simpler, if it works...

However I also think that preventing piracy is Nintendo's job, and it's their fault if people can still download and play games without paying. For the nintendo DS I didn't have an AR MAX DUO, only an Acekard, so I made a new game on there even though I had the original, just so I could use the save on my computer... And that was much simpler than AR MAX DUO sounded, although I never tried it.

Edit: I guess what i said is about what yoshisrock said so never mind...
    Last edited by mysteriousmrl; 05-01-2011 at 07:40 AM.