PattViewX? Never heard of it before this message. You aren't going to get a lot of donations if nobody has heard of it.
ACToolkitX? Not unless Virus gives an endorsement and/or does the work.

VIP program?
I give you credit for a new style of selling stuff on the web. If you are making a lot of money on it, then more power to you.
If not I suggest more standard ways of making 'shareware' money on the web. If you think you can meet the higher expectations, then a full blown subscription/registration-code system may work better.
---
My suggestion: (and general netiquette)

The "I Like This Tool, PayPal me a few bucks" button built into the app is generally viewed as ok. Once the user presses the button, it can launch a webpage. Let the user decide if they want to contribute and how much. Suggest some amounts (don't be greedy). Be sure to launch a standard webpage.
Nag screens are ok, but don't overdo it.

Programs that launch an Internet connection automatically (like PattView) or launch non standard web pages may be blocked by a firewall, which is a bad idea. If they decide later to send you money they can't easily.
FWIW: I've never installed the VIP tool. It is non standard and scary...

---
IMHO A freeware/shareware program with paypal button is also best for the programmer. It lets them do what they want, perhaps with a forum for discussion and feature requests, but no promise that paypal will get them features or special treatment. Paying to be a "VIP" raises expectations that may disappoint you later.
Also when the program is finished active development, the programmer can still make money (as long as the website and paypal account are active). Also mirrored/pirated copies continue to have your paypal advertisement in it.

Here is one good example of an older obscure program, but still looking for paypal bucks http://www.millardsoftware.com/conte...and-sender-181
(other more popular programs on the website have made the owner a fair bit of shareware money over the years, all voluntary after the user has used the program)
It is cleverly placed right in the revision log. If someone is looking for the latest version then they are a serious user.