Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Future of ACTookit

Blog Entries

>-Edit gifts attached to letters.
    You can already do this in PattView
    Animal Crossing: City Folk
    ACToolkit - NPC_Tool - PattView

I don't really have an idea for ACToolkit since I am content with it as it is :P but i'd just like to ask Vash if the press coverage version of PattviewX hasn't expired yet, I want to put up a notice on my site about it if you still offer it.

Meh, I might start over...
    I wanna try the new tools... :P

EDIT: Or rather the improved tools...

PattViewX? Never heard of it before this message. You aren't going to get a lot of donations if nobody has heard of it.
    ACToolkitX? Not unless Virus gives an endorsement and/or does the work.

VIP program?
    I give you credit for a new style of selling stuff on the web. If you are making a lot of money on it, then more power to you.
    If not I suggest more standard ways of making 'shareware' money on the web. If you think you can meet the higher expectations, then a full blown subscription/registration-code system may work better.
    ---
    My suggestion: (and general netiquette)

The "I Like This Tool, PayPal me a few bucks" button built into the app is generally viewed as ok. Once the user presses the button, it can launch a webpage. Let the user decide if they want to contribute and how much. Suggest some amounts (don't be greedy). Be sure to launch a standard webpage.
    Nag screens are ok, but don't overdo it.

Programs that launch an Internet connection automatically (like PattView) or launch non standard web pages may be blocked by a firewall, which is a bad idea. If they decide later to send you money they can't easily.
    FWIW: I've never installed the VIP tool. It is non standard and scary...

---
    IMHO A freeware/shareware program with paypal button is also best for the programmer. It lets them do what they want, perhaps with a forum for discussion and feature requests, but no promise that paypal will get them features or special treatment. Paying to be a "VIP" raises expectations that may disappoint you later.
    Also when the program is finished active development, the programmer can still make money (as long as the website and paypal account are active). Also mirrored/pirated copies continue to have your paypal advertisement in it.

Here is one good example of an older obscure program, but still looking for paypal bucks http://www.millardsoftware.com/conte...and-sender-181
    (other more popular programs on the website have made the owner a fair bit of shareware money over the years, all voluntary after the user has used the program)
    It is cleverly placed right in the revision log. If someone is looking for the latest version then they are a serious user.

Blog Entries

>PattViewX? Never heard of it before this message. You aren't going to get a lot of donations if nobody has heard of it.

Serious users will see it on versions of PattView 2.0 or later. It is true the internet connection may be blocked, but we do have YouTube videos and a press release program that is helping spread the word. Our VIP system keeps the site running every month, so we're doing okay with it, thus far. The release isn't designed to make any profit, just to get donations and keep the site going. In that, I believe it will be successful. Afterall, Game-Hackers releases have always spread by word of mouth. No real advertising outside of our own site.

>ACToolkitX? Not unless Virus gives an endorsement and/or does the work.

The idea is to encourage Virus to program ACToolkitX. He's not interested, unfortunately If he doesn't want to make it, it won't be made. I'd never ask to take over his project. I wouldn't even be interested.

>VIP program?
    I give you credit for a new style of selling stuff on the web. If you are making a lot of money on it, then more power to you.

See above

>If not I suggest more standard ways of making 'shareware' money on the web. If you think you can meet the higher expectations, then a full blown subscription/registration-code system may work better.

Always a possibility down the line...

>Programs that launch an Internet connection automatically (like PattView) or launch non standard web pages may be blocked by a firewall, which is a bad idea. If they decide later to send you money they can't easily.
    FWIW: I've never installed the VIP tool. It is non standard and scary...

PattView requires an automatic internet connection for the paper preview feature (which you helped me create ). It also downloads the news banner at the bottom. If the connection is blocked, neither feature will work and that is really all. The 'Donate' button will still launch the web browser, regardless of firewall settings. The VIP Tool is just our way of putting all of our releases in one place for easy access and to help prevent leaks. It may seem non-standard, but it has worked very well thus far and I think we'll stick with it in the future.

Just my responses I appreciate the feedback, and I know more advertising is necessary to spread the word. I'm not interested in a full shareware release, just a VIP-exclusive that can stay right here at our site.
    Animal Crossing: City Folk
    ACToolkit - NPC_Tool - PattView

I think another feature to consider on a future actoolkt would be to edit the housing style of the NPC houses. I'm not sure if that falls into the category of the npc_tool related edits.. but it's save game related either way.
    I like the current layout of toolkit so I don't have any suggestions on changing it but "ActoolkitX" does sound like a good idea.

i got an email for pattviewx i just havent donated yet.. and id love to get an actoolkitx
    Last edited by XAlucarDX454; 11-15-2009 at 09:04 PM.

Thought of something else..

Keeping Gulliver's ufo around permanently like the other extra buildings would be a nice addition.

Don't think actoolkit has a future anymore :P

I agree with the person who said to combine all the tools.
    I say go Conan O' Brian style and call it YoutwitFace. Or something along those lines...