Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: New DLC item

Quote Originally Posted by dragonboy269 View Post
    Well if that's you in the pic by your name, then yes you are a wiibrew user.
    Oh okay, thankyou

DsPet>
    Sooo, we WONT be able to change a thing with them untill the official DLC_Tool?
    Still, the Lightsabre thing is cool. and it works for now

Quote Originally Posted by DsPet View Post
    > Can't wait for the DLC_Tool...
    I'm trying a slow release plan, please see below (comments please)

> ... Headless hats... Lightsabres.
    The headless hat is more of a bug (if the hat item is not valid). I may make a runtime 'code' for that later.

re: sounds
    The first 2 light sabres will have the standard axe chopping sounds.
    There are other resource types inside the "brres" files (CHR0,STR0,VIS0,CLR0,PAT0). Someone needs to investigate these more.
    Also a MDL0 (3D model) editing tool is greatly needed

> What would you use as a light saber though?
    I did lame editing on the fish rod 3D model to fatten it up to a light sabre but it isn't a general solution. A MDL0 (3D model) editing tool is greatly needed. The MDL0 file format is only partially understood.
    ======

Hacked DLC/EZ_DLC_Install/DLC_Tool install plan: (comments please)
    ------------------------------------------------

This weekend I'm releasing 3 test DLCs. The ShinyBluePikmin hat and the red and blue lightsabres. They will work over WiFi.
    They will be real DLC items (with fixed item codes) and can be traded with non-WiiBrew owners. Once into the wild they can't be changed.

The ShinyBluePikmin hat is catalogable and can be purchased cheap (1 or 2 bells).
    The 2 lightsabres will not be catalogable (they act like golden axes) and will be very expensive (either 3M or 5M bells I haven't decided yet). People will be giving them away for free, and/or selling them for crazy prices since only 'hackers' will be able to make them.

Along with the 3 test DLCs will be an easy install tool (EZ_DLC_Install) for WiiBrew/ACToolkit users. It will let you install any of the 5 DLCs (redPikmin, top, ShinyBluePikmin, RedLightSabre, BlueLightSabre) and/or delete the ones you don't want. It does not let you create your own DLC items.

Early next week I'll release DLC_Tool. This will let you create your own "experimental" DLC items. Experimental DLCs won't work over WiFi, but you can test them in your town. This is a safety precaution since once released into the wild, they can't be changed.
    DLC_Tool will include a number or templates you can start with (but others can be made from standard items if interested). eg: goldenaxe, editable redPikmin hat, silveraxe, goldenrod, other tools, some furniture.
    Hopefully nobody will abuse the technology to damage towns, but...

If someone comes up with a cool DLC, it can be turned into a WiFi capable one (with a fixed item code etc). The procedure for that will be defined later. There is only room for 256 real DLCs items world-wide (and we are competing with Nintendo for those 256 slots).

Comments please.
    Hee Hee! I'm so excited! Can't wait for this to be released.

The 2 lightsabres will not be catalogable (they act like golden axes) and will be very expensive (either 3M or 5M bells I haven't decided yet). People will be giving them away for free, and/or selling them for crazy prices since only 'hackers' will be able to make them.
    I almost want to say make it 5M, so that lightsabers don't become the new "royal crowns". I'm mostly on the fence about it. Maybe make one 3M and one 5M?

Early next week I'll release DLC_Tool. This will let you create your own "experimental" DLC items. Experimental DLCs won't work over WiFi, but you can test them in your town. This is a safety precaution since once released into the wild, they can't be changed.
    This sounds like a good idea to hedge off potential misuses of the tool. How were you able to get them to not work over wi-fi?

If someone comes up with a cool DLC, it can be turned into a WiFi capable one (with a fixed item code etc). The procedure for that will be defined later. There is only room for 256 real DLCs items world-wide (and we are competing with Nintendo for those 256 slots).
    So you'll be the only one who can make wi-fi compatible items? Sounds like a good idea in theory, but it probably won't take too long for others to figure it out and make their own wi-fi items.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Potatamoto View Post

So you'll be the only one who can make wi-fi compatible items? Sounds like a good idea in theory, but it probably won't take too long for others to figure it out and make their own wi-fi items.
    The only other people that will know how to do that are the actual "hackers" so they will probably be smart enough to use it properly. I haven't seen any of the "bad" hackers that could make their own codes.

All the bad hackers are mostly dum sh*ts.
    Nuff' said xD

This all sounds very awesome. Just want to say thanks for all the work you guys put into this stuff, I'm looking forward to trying out everything.

> I almost want to say make it 5M... Maybe make one 3M and one 5M?
    I thought the same - but Nook is tricky (sometimes he pays 1/2 or 1/4 of the official price, maybe less??).
    6M Bells for the Red one, 2 Bells for the Blue one? (or vice-versa?)
    (BTW: bad guys are usually red - http://www.moviefone.com/user-quizze...my-light-sabre )

> How were you able to get them to not work over wi-fi?
    The better question is "how were you able to get them to work over wi-fi?" ;->

> but it probably won't take too long for others to figure it out and make their own wi-fi items.
    Agreed. Once the tool is released it is relatively easy to figure out.
    That's why I'm delaying it a bit, but not too long, only a week or two (a very powerful tool, powerful and dangerous).

As mentioned the bad hackers can ruin the game. All it takes is one smart bad hacker.
    But in my experience if they are smart enough they usually turn out to be a "good hacker".

> I almost want to say make it 5M... Maybe make one 3M and one 5M?
    I thought the same - but Nook is tricky (sometimes he pays 1/2 or 1/4 of the official price, maybe less??).
    6M Bells for the Red one, 2 Bells for the Blue one? (or vice-versa?)
    (BTW: bad guys are usually red - http://www.moviefone.com/user-quizze...my-light-sabre )

> How were you able to get them to not work over wi-fi?
    The better question is "how were you able to get them to work over wi-fi?" ;->

> but it probably won't take too long for others to figure it out and make their own wi-fi items.
    Agreed. Once the tool is released it is relatively easy to figure out.
    That's why I'm delaying it a bit, but not too long, only a week or two (a very powerful tool, powerful and dangerous).

As mentioned the bad hackers can ruin the game. All it takes is one smart bad hacker.
    But in my experience if they are smart enough they usually turn out to be a "good hacker".

Just to say, from experience, nook has always bought from me for 1/4 of the original price. Never have I sold anything for 1/2 of the original price.

so this weekend your letting 3 test items out?
    If so when will you exactly do it and what would the Item values be?