Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: New DLC item

Blog Entries

That seems so cool XD Wait, it's visible to other people? Like they'll see you holding the black rook instead of a gold axe?

> (is it) visible to other people?
    Of course (otherwise it wouldn't be a super-cool feature ;-)

The DLC data gets transferred when you connect to the other town. They can see it like you do, and if you drop the item they can use it just the same.
    For most items, once they pick it up it will appear in their catalog and can be ordered from Nook (using the price you set).
    However for tools (eg: golden axe) they can't be ordered from Nook. A hacker must create them and give them out one at a time. I'm looking into a workaround (having easy and cheap orderable items is important for quickly spreading custom DLCs to the non-WiiBrew community).

Quote Originally Posted by DsPet View Post
    > We will be able to change the colors and stuff just like your NPC Tool, right?
    Yes, the textures, color palette and even the 3D model are part of the DLC.
    Edit the first two using MSPaint/PBrush or other BMP editors like NPC_Tool.
    No 3D model editing in the first version, but you can steal the 3D models from existing items if they are small enough (eg: black rook 3D model and textures used as a golden axe: http://www.aibohack.com/wii/chess_axe.jpg )

> Also, will we have the ability to re-name DLC, or no?
    Not for the official DLC (red Pikmin hat and top). That will cause possible conflicts so I'm restricting editing (but you can add and delete them).
    For newly created items (which can start from one of many 'prototypes') you can name it anything you want. If you want to be fancy, there are 9 different names for the different languages.
    So, I'll be able to delete the red Pikmin hat, and create a 'new' pikmin hat and have it correctly named? At least for me...

EDIT: Also, we'll be able to set the price for the DLC? Like make the Exclusive Game Hackers DLC be 1337 bells??? XD
    Last edited by Omniferious; 01-13-2009 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DsPet View Post
    > (is it) visible to other people?
    Of course (otherwise it wouldn't be a super-cool feature ;-)

The DLC data gets transferred when you connect to the other town. They can see it like you do, and if you drop the item they can use it just the same.
    For most items, once they pick it up it will appear in their catalog and can be ordered from Nook (using the price you set).
    However for tools (eg: golden axe) they can't be ordered from Nook. A hacker must create them and give them out one at a time. I'm looking into a workaround (having easy and cheap orderable items is important for quickly spreading custom DLCs to the non-WiiBrew community).
    Sorry for Double-post, but wouldn't one 'workaround' be using the Text to Item code??? All the person would have to know is the Hex code for that item...

> So, I'll be able to delete the red Pikmin hat, and create a 'new' pikmin hat and have it correctly named?
    Possible, but IMHO that's a major underuse of the feature.
    When released "into the wild" new items can cause problems. I'll probably release the shiny blue pikmin hat as a test case (exactly the same as the red Pikmin hat, but the color inverted)
    > Also, we'll be able to set the price for the DLC?
    Yes, anywhere from 1 to 5Million bells. 3 million is the practical limit if you want to sell to Nook (Nook will buy it for 1.5million, which fills you pockets with 99,000 bell bags). Set the price to 5 million and it looks impressive -- but you can't buy or sell it.

> ...but wouldn't one 'workaround' be using the Text to Item code???
    'hackers' have many options (people who have WiiBrew). Text to item code will work. A future version of ACToolkit will work as well.
    The problem is with regular users (people who don't have WiiBrew). For the official DLC items they share the item with friends (pick it up, drop it, then order it from the catalog).

wiibrew users are the ones who have gecko os or USB gecko?

either Gecko OS, or both. maybe even none as they don't necessarily have to hack to be wiibrew users.

so if i have geckoos ill be able to use DLC tool?
    Sorry im such a noob

You don't need GeckoOS or Ocarina or USB Gecko.
    The minimum you need the gamesave Extract and Install utilities.
    That's all you need for ACToolkit, NPC_Tool, PattView and the upcoming DLC_Tool.

Start with ACToolkit http://game-hackers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1098

you almost forgot the Homebrew Channel.... That's a VERY important thing needed in all of this...