Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blubberdiblub's text to item code

Default Blubberdiblub's text to item code

Sounds good minus the closing and opening the DS, sounds like a pain in the ***. For what I use it for, anyways.

Default Re: [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World [EU] [AR]

Well, my intent was not having to send the number you're typing into the text box. All the other key combinations somehow got out of the text menu or changed the text.

But unfortunately it seems that it doesn't work when you have visitors in your town, so that's all moot ... oh well :/

Default Re: Blubberdiblub's text to item code

There are two reasons why your code is not working online:

1. The inventory slot address only work in your town. This will cause the code not to work in other towns.
    2. You need to find a pointer for the current text typed. This will allow the code to work in your town.

My method was to just have the message submitted. This saves you the trouble of looking for a pointer (not that its hard) and it allows you to get many of the same item without re-typing the hex code.

Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    1. The inventory slot address only work in your town. This will cause the code not to work in other towns.
    2. You need to find a pointer for the current text typed. This will allow the code to work in your town.
    Yeah, I know. Unfortunately, with my current level of experience, I can't do much better ...

This saves you the trouble of looking for a pointer (not that its hard)
    Well, for me it is.
    As I see it, they are probably pointers of the kind: my_needed_start_address = [pointer_address] + offset
    This makes it nearly impossible for me to find the pointer without knowledge of sophisticated pointer hunting techniques, since offset could be nearly anything, which would allow nearly any content at the pointer_address ... what to search for then?
    (let alone the possibility of multiple levels of indirection)

One possibility I can think of would be using debugging. But I don't have the trainer toolkit and running it in iDeaS (with a piggybacked emuhaste) I don't see a possibility to set a breakpoint on data write/access. Maybe it is there, but I can't figure it out :/
    Thus I don't have a possibility to intercept the code at a point where it operates on the text message or the inventory, respectively ...

and it allows you to get many of the same item without re-typing the hex code.
    That's a good point. Didn't think of that.

Oh, and thanks for splitting off this part of the thread

Finding a pointer is relatively easy. This is how I do it (for acww):

1. Hack the code while outside
    2. Dump the RAM
    3. Hack the code while inside a building
    4. Dump the RAM
    5. Use the pointer tools in the DS Workshop.

Marvellous
    I used that to resolve part of the issue:
    Now you can use the code inside buildings and when hosting visitors over WiFi (but NOT when visiting other towns).
    I updated the code.

Super Moderator

wow cool blubberdiblub .. nice code .. keep it up dude ..

PS. pointer is always nasty.. only in some game it is easier to find

Blog Entries

And the code is located... where?

Say what you mean, mean what you say, and let your actions speak for you.

It's located there.
    Virus split the thread, because the chatting threatened to clutter the release section.

BTW, currently I'm working on the far greater problem of accessing the item slots irrespective of town and player number. I'm quite far with that, only struggling a bit with crashes in the ASM. I hope the pointer access of the text input is sufficiently robust so I can make it work when visiting another town as well. We'll see tomorrow ..

EDIT: Updated my Text to Item code with my new findings. Seems to work like a breeze, but that remains to be seen. Beta testers welcome

Blog Entries

AH, shame it isn't V1.0 X.x

Say what you mean, mean what you say, and let your actions speak for you.