Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4.2 released today!

Post Wii Menu 4.2 released in all regions

Wii Menu 4.2 released in all regions have been uploaded to the Wii Servers. Don't update. Unless you want a Homebrewless Wii and an unfixable bricked (If it gets bricked) Wii.
    WARNING! The 'old' 4.0, and 4.1 updaters WILL brick your Wii due to installing the 'stub' IOS from Nintendo!

See http://game-hackers.com/forum/showth...2833#post22833 for a list of exploits.

Removes HomeBrew Channel (HAXX). (Use the new HackMii installer.)
    Removes DVDx (DVDX). (Use the new HackMii Installer)
    Removes BootMii as IOS and boot2. (No workaround for this right now.)
    Preloader unloadable due to IOS70 being the System Menu IOS. (Use a moddified version of the Preloader installer.)
    ALL IOS's have been stubbed and updated.
    boot2 updated to boot2v4(LU64's have this) and unable to downgrade to revert back to your old System Menu.
    cIOS249/222/223/250 have been removed, not 202 (USB 2.0). (Restore the trucha bug and delete the stubbed cIOS using Anytitledeleter and reinstall cIOS249.)
    IOS70 is the System Menu IOS.

Ways around this?
    Use Bannerbomb v2 to run the HackMii installer. Run Trucha Bug Restorer and select No IOS Reload. Downgrade IOS15, and then reload and select IOS15, then IOS36 menu, YES to everything. Then reload, and select IOS36 to Restore IOS15. Run anytitledeleter and delete IOS 202, 222, 223, 249, and 250. Run cIOS38 rev14 installer and select IOS36 and have fun! Want PreLoader on your 4.2 Wii? You simply need the Trucha bug enabled at IOS70...

4.2 System Menu is not stable AT ALL! Bricks are being reported on unmodded Wii's! And another brick that people get is by updating their IOS60, Nintendo's latest IOS60 is a stub, (which it will brick your Wii.)
    Last edited by yyhhggtt; 10-16-2009 at 08:47 PM. Reason: EVERYTHING.

Yep, its confirmed. The only way to install homebrew now if your on 4.2 is either:
    1. Use the Indiana PWNS exploit from Team Twiizers (lego indiana jones)
    2. Use comex's stacksmash exploit (ssbb)

Both require a game to install the homebrew channel but mostly everyone has brawl (for stack smash) so that shouldn't be a problem.

So does it remove homebrew if preinstalled before update? And does it make any other modifications at the same time?

I looked at the update on my wii, and im like, **** that. I aint losing my HBC.

It says that for every Wii update, herox.

I don't think I'll update until I get a confirmation on the Smash Hack, or until Bannerbomb gets updated somehow.
    Sky Rail has been released: http://youtu.be/QFvbNFgsIGY
    Check out my orchestration of New Leaf's 8PM: https://soundcloud.com/sonichyuga/an...ing-new-leaf-8

does itdelete backup launcher channel and other custom channels too?

I dont know about VC or such but it removes anything homebrew based channel. dvdx, HBC, backuploader, ETC. The only thing I have installed really is HBC and my pokemon ranch which I have to buy anyway for the update to platinum if it ever comes. I do it all via my SD card. But do not update untill we have new stuff to use. Its just not worth it.

As for the letter, I have never seen one say anything like this except the 4.1 letter.

So...does this update actually do anything good to improve functionality or stability of the Wii like most updates, or does it just remove all homebrew?

Blog Entries

Everything i've been reading makes me think that this update is targeted directly at killing homebrew and piracy. No useful or needed updates.

according to the letter i got on my wii its supposed to do something good for non hackers but its very vague. I think its just an attempt to trick hackers into killing their hacks. Nintendo must think we are stupid enough to update.