Thread: "HDLC Virus" Message spreading around on youtube

Default "HDLC Virus" Message spreading around on youtube

This is probably fake but i've gotten several messages in my youtube inbox about this so called "HDLC Virus". I would like to know more info on this:

Info on the "HDLC Virus"
    This spreads VERY quickly, and most people estimate that by 2010, only 1/1000 of people who use Wi-Fi in Animal Crossing: City will not have the "HDLC Virus." To be "immune" from the "HDLC Virus", you must not have any friends who have had contact with any friends who have had contact with... (It can continue on through your whole AC: City "Friend Tree") anyone who has any HDLC items. If there is a single HDLC offender in your ACCF friend tree (your friend's friend's friend's, etc.) then it can VERY easily spread through your friend tree. Although the chances of getting the virus are slimmer if you and your friends have small friend lists in the game, even if one of your friend's friend's friend's friend has a huge friend list, you most likely will get the virus. Just by making a tiny contact with someone, you receive their whole friend tree. You would have to have a very small group of friends who you know do not add anyone with a friend tree with a single HDLC offender to be completely immune from the virus. But just because you know their is an HDLC offender in your friend tree doesn't mean you have the virus. If all that person is is someone who your friend made contact with before they were an HDLC offender and then deleted them off their Friend List, you could be immune. No one can be sure they know that they don't have a single HDLC offender in their friend tree unless they checked their friend lists, and all their friend's friend list, and their friend's friend's friend list, etc.
    Nearly every person has a vast friend tree. It is estimated 1 in 5 AC: City Wifi-ers have a friend tree with over 1000 people. It just keeps multiplying every time you go in the same town with someone. The only way to slim your friend tree for the purpose of not getting the virus is to delete every single person off your friend list, and not allowing AC: City to connect to WiiConnect24 (which will not allow the actual DLC items to come to your town), before the virus travels to your town. Keep in mind every player in your town will have the other player's friend tree also.
    (For example, I know that, since I have a HDLC item, another player in my town's friend's friend's friend, that I haven't even come in contact with, is prone to the virus.) That goes to show how vast your friend tree really is, and how fast this virus can spread.

The hacked DLC items, like official DLC items, are assigned to hex addresses that were left empty for this purpose. Lets say they go in addresses 1a, 1b, and 1c. When Nintendo wants to release official DLC items, they may eventually use those certain addresses. It is not currently known what will happen to the items official, or unofficial. There are rumors of the hacked DLC items just disappearing from your game, replaced by the official DLC items, which would only be able to be stopped by turning off WiiConnect24 and not receiving the items. Others claim that having unofficial DLC on your system will prevent the official items from being received.

There are over 1,000 hex addresses that DLC items can potentially use, but an Animal Crossing save file is only designed to hold 256 pieces of DLC data. This cuts the risk (and/or inevitability) of a hex address conflict, but risks unknown effects should two people connect and their combined DLC datas (mostly unofficial) total more than 256.

The coding for a Sabre item is identical to that of the Golden Axe but has been modified using texture hacks and added as a new item so to not replace the Golden Axe in the game

Your in no danger we're being careful :P essentially non homebrew users can't change the hdlc slots so if my friend(non homebrew) see's my Sabre then thats it for good even if I bring in crayon will look like sabre XD so while some of this is technically correct I wouldn't call it a virus, plus just because someone in your "friend tree" has hdlc doesn't mean you do to

Remember to always click the thanks button of those who help you! It makes them feel wanted:

Blog Entries

Why would you call it a virus? It's not causing any harm, who would want Nintendo's DLC anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by dragonboy269 View Post
    Why would you call it a virus? It's not causing any harm, who would want Nintendo's DLC anyway?
    It's true they suck. (i laughed so hard when i read this. They're speaking so seriously like it's a zombie invasion virus or an std transffered by breath or anything else. "It spreads very bad. You are advised to stay in your house with a shotgun. lock all windows and doors. Go to no ones town. EVER. Don't trust anyone. The could've been infected with the *gasp* H1DLC1 virus.
    Last edited by hyperonion; 08-19-2009 at 05:26 PM.

Welcome to the real world where virus, bugs are everywhere...

To fight those, Take/use EZ_DLC medicine to remove all HDLC, and get a good rest...

Blog Entries

I really hate misinformed people.. I mean honestly why would someone eve bother to type about something so pointless for 3 or so long *** paragraphs?

Say what you mean, mean what you say, and let your actions speak for you.

> This spreads VERY quickly, and most people estimate that by 2010, only 1/1000 of people who use Wi-Fi in Animal Crossing: City will not have the "HDLC Virus."

That is one of those "DLC hater" propaganda postings.

-----
    FWIW: Taking it seriously for a second (commentary and speculation)

Who are the "most people"? Which month in 2010?
    In January 2010 (135 days from now), the game is slightly over 1 year old and Nintendo will have released a year's worth of DLC items.
    Most of the 256 "slots" will be used up by Nintendo and their official releases (they are around 10% now). There is still plenty of room, but Nintendo gets the first shot.

However, in December 2010, the game is 2 years old and I predict Nintendo will have given up on AC:CF DLC. There are no new holidays to promote.
    The remaining DLC "slots" will likely be filled with Hacked DLC (whether good or bad ;-).

-----
    So to summarize:
    DLC does spread like a virus. Nintendo DLC spreads like a virus. Hacked DLC spreads like a virus.

The "1/1000" claim is bogus and without supporting data. That's .1% uninfected (ie. 99.9% "infected").
    In January 2010, not everyone using WiFi will have DLC and/or HDLC. That's unrealistic.
    In December 2010, everyone using WiFi will have DLC and HDLC (I predict something closer to 100% ;-)
    Last edited by DsPet; 08-19-2009 at 06:13 PM.

Lol and the source they gave me was: http://accf.wikispaces.com/hacked+dlc
    I agree with DSPet, in a way any DLC spreads like a virus even though it cant really do any harm like that wiki says, "Your town will become infected and overload". xD

Quote Originally Posted by thunder13 View Post
    Lol and the source they gave me was: http://accf.wikispaces.com/hacked+dlc
    I agree with DSPet, in a way any DLC spreads like a virus even though it cant really do any harm like that wiki says, "Your town will become infected and overload". xD
    If anyone has an account there they should edit the article for the hdlc page and the hackers page. Followed by contacting the moderators so that the correct information stays up and can't be edited in the future without permission.