Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: First official Animal Crossing DLC

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ganko-Kun View Post
    I don't have a USBGecko ...
    the "or" was there for a reason. i.e. get it from someone else.

Say what you mean, mean what you say, and let your actions speak for you.

> And as for the Custom DLC, that may be the best idea (if working) in AC:CF as of yet!
    Agreed, still looking into what is hackable or not. Takes a little more trial-and-error because there is only one DLC so far.
    BTW: There is enough room for 208 unique DLC items in the gamesave!

Wow 208 thats quite cool how did you come to that conclusion?

Remember to always click the thanks button of those who help you! It makes them feel wanted:

> Wow 208 thats quite cool how did you come to that conclusion?
    Experimentation of course. If you fill the space to the end, the game will scan all 208 of them (still working on how it allocates new item codes). There is also room for 48 more before that, but that may be for other items (and other sizes). That's why the gamesave is so big (4MB, 1/2 of that is zeros waiting for DLC).

BTW: We'll know more on Jan 1 when the 2nd DLC (Spinning Top) is released
    http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/ruuj/iteminfo/index.html

DsPet, they should make a religion after you because you are my god XD

Spinning Top <-----Does want!

And wow, the first game to have DLC for the Wii, now THAT'S a milestone for Nintendo! (sarcasm, but not sarcasm :/) And if they're going to release the DLC like half a month apart each, that's like 8 1/2 years! I don't want to wait THAT long! And I still don't fully understand how they activate DLC :/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BillGrey View Post
    DsPet, they should make a religion after you because you are my god XD

Spinning Top <-----Does want!

And wow, the first game to have DLC for the Wii, now THAT'S a milestone for Nintendo! (sarcasm, but not sarcasm :/) And if they're going to release the DLC like half a month apart each, that's like 8 1/2 years! I don't want to wait THAT long! And I still don't fully understand how they activate DLC :/
    I'm guessing if you connect to wifi on a certain day, you'll get a letter from Nintendo with the item. It worked that way on AC:WW.

It wasn't DLC in Wild World it was already in the game. DLC just downloads to the wii memory or the save after you acquire it.
    For all the Noobs out there http://tinyurl.com/683wwm please learn something today.

Blog Entries

So dspet, how is the recompression coming?

> So dspet, how is the recompression coming?
    Slowly. AFAIK: Nobody has an (working) open source implementation of the decompressor, much less an acceptable compression/recompression tool.
    Even if I had that working, I'd probably wait a while before releasing DLC_Tool (for reasons stated below)

OLD question:
    > how do you decide what hex value it becomes?
    That's in the "DLC" data along with lots of other info. The data is almost identical to the data for the built-in items, so a lot is possible. I'm barely scratching the surface of crazy things you can do: http://www.aibohack.com/wii/crazy_pikmin.jpg

Eventually DLC_Tool will assign a 16-bit item code for any new 'hacked' DLC item. It should be consistent and placed in the gaps around the regular items (although that may not be critical). Hopefully I'll come up with a range for experimentation. Releasing a new item into the "wild" has more complications. You can't go back and change the number.
    BTW: The only official DLC ("red Pikmin") uses code $AEB0 which is in the middle of the gap between the end of the built-in hats/masks and the start of the built-in glasses. Time will tell where they put other 'official' DLC.

> and what happens if one person has one thing as a hex value and someone else has another?
    It appears that first one installed in the town wins. The DLC is not redownloaded. This will be a problem if a hacked items collide with official ones. Also if two hacked items use the same code, the first one will win. Any updates will not be seen in towns that have previously 'seen' the item.
    I'm still looking to see if there is a 'version number' somewhere in the data or a way of forgetting a DLC item without WiiBrew (even if you get rid of all items in your pockets it is still in your catalogue and in the gamesave data).

Another reason why DLC_Tool will take some time before published. We need to understand how Nintendo is assigning codes to avoid future problems (ie. this is tricky to do even with the best intentions, can be very dangerous if people want to intentionally harm towns).
    Not a danger for WiiBrew folks, since DLC_Tool will let you delete existing DLC items (as well as tweek them) for your town.
    For the larger non-WiiBrew community, there is potential danger (ie. the more powerful the tool, the greater chance for damage in the hands of 'evil hackers')
    Last edited by DsPet; 12-27-2008 at 12:27 PM.

Blog Entries

lol nice, and best of luck on the recompression, well if you need help or me to test anything feel free to ask. My best guess for the next item (Spinning top, right?) would be a gap somewhere in the item area, because its an item.. XD just a thought I'm sure you knew that but w\e >.>