Thread: Animal Villager House Styles

Default Animal Villager House Styles

I have become obsessed with this townie house issue...

What determines the townie house styles?

I have read posts on other forums that people have posted pictures of their neighbor houses and they all say that it is the games region that is the determining factor.

This does not satisfy me because clearly in the pictures I have seen, and my own WIFI experience, I have seen a range of house styles in both the NA and PAL regions.

I'm wondering if maybe some of you who are much smarter about the "guts" of the game would have the answer?

It appears that each town has 2 general house styles... and it seems to me that no matter who moves in or out the general styles stay the same? Have I just not been patient enough?

It doesn't seem to be related to gate style or grass style. I thought maybe native fruit? Anyway... if I wanted to have a particular house style.. if I restarted my game until I found that style... could I expect it to stay the same? Or will they eventually change to something else?

I'm sorry if anyone feels this is a retarded issue... but like I said... I'm obsessed with this question? I'm dying to know!

Any answers/help would be much appreciated!

I think it's actually a pretty interesting question, and would like to know, myself. I hope someone can find out for us! lol.
    Everywhere at once.

> What determines the townie house styles?
    The main (only?) decision factor is the NPC character type (what I call the "Prototype" in NPC_Tool).

Each character has two different possible house styles (I haven't figured out where that is stored, but it may be added to a future NPC_Tool). Use NPC_Tool to change all your NPC neighbors to the same Prototype, then run the town and you will only see two house styles.

The two styles are appropriate for the species of the character. For example, bird species will have rounded roofs that look more nest-like. Cat species will have boxy houses.
    If someone has some spare time, a photo guide of all the possible housing styles may let you draw other conclusions...

I don't know if there are other factors involved (game version, town gate type etc). The season changes some things (eg: snow on the roof).

Hm, I'll have to go try this now! I did use the NPC_Tool to exchange a few of my neighbors... but I still have the same two types of houses in my town... some stone and some this nasty wood slat stuff...

Well, I know that there were a couple neighbors that I had, and a friend of mine had... and she has these cool looking kind of brown cabin like houses??? Ok I'm just going to go try and see what I get. I'll post back

Thanks for the info!

***Ok, I tried the suggestion, and I do see how changing the type of animal does change their house shape... but my town still only has two types of "building material" for lack of a better description. I don't mean to be a jerk.... this is just driving me crazy. I tried to post a picture, but I am too retarded to get it to work : )

Anyway... I guess what I'm wanting to change is what the house is made of... man I'm a freak! I do appreciate your help though DS Pet
    Last edited by Tydos; 03-09-2009 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Tried the suggestion

Lightbulb

im pretty sure it is region specific cuz ive seen really weird houses in japanese towns and i think the same kind in euro towns too... the reason you saw a spread of houses is prob because if a jap neighbor moved to a usa town maybe the house goes too... idk im prob all wrong lol

> ...weird houses in japanese towns and i think the same kind in euro towns too...
    Have you seen both in the same town at the same time ?

If you know how to dump ISOs and extract archives, there are some interesting files on the game disc in the "Str/Brres" folder
    Code:
    fieldEurEngStrBrresS.arc
    fieldEurEngStrBrresW.arc
    fieldEurFraStrBrresS.arc
    fieldEurFraStrBrresW.arc
    fieldEurGerStrBrresS.arc
    fieldEurGerStrBrresW.arc
    fieldEurItaStrBrresS.arc
    fieldEurItaStrBrresW.arc
    fieldEurSpaStrBrresS.arc
    fieldEurSpaStrBrresW.arc
    fieldJpnJpnStrBrresS.arc
    fieldJpnJpnStrBrresW.arc
    fieldKorKorStrBrresS.arc
    fieldKorKorStrBrresW.arc
    fieldUsaEngStrBrresS.arc
    fieldUsaEngStrBrresW.arc
    fieldUsaFraStrBrresS.arc
    fieldUsaFraStrBrresW.arc
    fieldUsaSpaStrBrresS.arc
    fieldUsaSpaStrBrresW.arc
    These appear to contain the graphics for the buildings and other things seen on the world map (ie. when outside a house). Different versions of the game as well as language, and season ("S" for summer, "W" for winter)
    The NPC house texture data is stored in there as well. The exact logic is not understood, but it should be possible to patch these for custom looks (IN YOUR TOWN ONLY - it won't work over WiFi). Possible but a lot of work for little gain IMHO.

Sample of house textures (not including roofs)
    http://aibohack.com/wii/house_tex.bmp
    Last edited by DsPet; 03-10-2009 at 02:25 PM. Reason: add bitmap

Default Here are some examples

Japanese Player
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdK3iU8InXE
    USA PLayer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBo892MPtVM
    UK Player
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AbImwg0ob4

Maybe you can notice the pattern. Sorry to promote my on video, but I have friends everywhere.
    Last edited by Cheat5; 03-11-2009 at 01:53 AM.

Thanks for all the info. DSPet I don't know how to dump ISOs and extract archives.... but your link to the house textures was helpful.

Cheat5 I watched your videos... all excited that I was going to see something new... but heres my confusion...

I just restarted my town 15 times... not much... but I did get a range of different house combos. The 4 that DSPet posted the link to textures for, and also the one that is in both the PAL and the Japan video that Cheat5 posted that I will describe as a "dutch look" white with wood criss cross and kind of like flowers on the bottom of most of them. I did find that having the same native fruit does not mean the house styles will be the same, nor the gate or grass style... for what its worth.

I did see two other house styles in peoples pictures that in my 15 restarts I did not come across... this log cabin style and the reddish brick here
    http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/1917/day1013018vd3.jpg

I hope its ok to post this picture, it was submitted on another forum from a player that I don't know. This player is from PAL region.

Anyway... I'm still confused, but Im bored of restarting over and over : ) I guess maybe it is just random and maybe if I continued to restart I may find the reddish brick and log cabin styles... or maybe it is region specific... for few select styles only? Or... ah well.. I don't know. Thank you all so much for reading and trying to satisfy my obsession : )

personally i think its to do with what gender you pick at the begining and what face because when i started as the girl and chose my face i keeped chossing the same one and got the same 2 style houses but when i started as a boy i had 2 different syle houses. i started again and again as a boy but changed the faces and got completly different styles of house.

sorry if its confusing i found it hard to explain.

Crazyfruitgal it is pretty confusing... in my 15 times restarting, trying to figure this out, I chose the same face as a girl 10 times and 5 times as a boy thinking that may be it... but I still got random houses each time... a couple times there were duplicates... but still seemed random. So frustrating... I feel like Ive been spoiled with the AC Toolkit being able to change everything, and not knowing how this works is driving me nuts!

****Ok, I'm convinced that there are region specific house styles now, see this video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oE05...eature=related

There must be some house styles that are region specific and some that aren't?? Thanks again for everyones help!
    Last edited by Tydos; 03-11-2009 at 01:46 AM. Reason: More Info