Thread: HDLC and OHDLC questions

Default HDLC and OHDLC questions

hello, I am just getting into "hacking" and am wondering about HDLC and OHDLC

Whats the difference between the two?

how are they made?

what is this talk of some HDLC being rarer? can anybody just ACTOOLKIT them in?

when will more be released?

how can i make my own HDLC?
    Last edited by hyperhopper; 11-23-2009 at 03:38 PM.

"jsut"?

lol

Anyway.

HDLC is like Nintendo's released files. OHDLC is Overlapped HDLC, or things like the lightsaber or giant crayon (I think. Correct me if I'm wrong).

Some HDLC may be rarer because it might not be in ACToolkit.

And basically, you can't make your own.
    http://siestacat.webs.com/GetAttachment.jpg

if its not in the toolkit, how do people get them?

the only stuff ion the toolkit is dimentiomask, tripokeball, the sabers, shinybluepikmin, and the blu carnation

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hyperhopper View Post
    if its not in the toolkit, how do people get them?

the only stuff ion the toolkit is dimentiomask, tripokeball, the sabers, shinybluepikmin, and the blu carnation
    The only stuff in the toolkit is what you have on your game. You can install DLC items using DsPet's EZ_DLC_Install.

Say what you mean, mean what you say, and let your actions speak for you.

> Whats the difference between the two (HDLC and OHDLC)?
    OHDLC is a special case for testing multiple items, explained here:
    http://www.aibohack.com/wii/ohdlc.htm

> ...can anybody just ACTOOLKIT them in?
    No, they first need the DLC data stored in the game (either by visiting a friend's town who has the DLC, or by installing it into your game using EZ_DLC_Install)
    http://www.aibohack.com/wii/ez_dlc_v2.htm

> ...how can i make my own HDLC?
    There are tools to create your own items (search the archives) using WiiBrew or a USB Gecko (recommended). That is the first step in creating new OHDLC/HDLC.

However, if you are just getting into 'hacking' I don't recommend it. It is tedious and tricky, and many AC:CF users have moved on.

Let me also try to answer some of your questions:

what is this talk of some HDLC being rarer?
    ==> this is perhaps related to the item in the OHDLC that a regular (non-wiibrew) player cannot get because the slot in that player's town has been occupied by a different one (than what the player wants) since several OHDLCs share the same slot. As an example, my (non-wiibrew) friends cannot get guitar axe since they already have red lightsaber (*sigh*). They just need to be wiibrew players I guess.

when will more be released?
    ==> any good idea for this coming holiday/new-year season? I have created blue carnations HDLC this month for my friends and "all" players to celebrate Thanksgiving.

how can i make my own HDLC?
    ==> like DsPet said above, it could be tedious. Basically, you need to do open surgery of the codes in the game (to learn various things related to DLC part). It requires a great commitment to go through it. You need to learn few things: checksum for item, compression of file, 3D modeling and texture editing, setting behavior of item, and other little things. Have fun trying these. DsPet has in fact created a set of great tools that you could try first as the starting point. Hopefully, we could say to you "welcome to the club" (quoting DsPet).

re: tedious work
    FWIW: I was referring to the 3D model editing and (to a lesser extent) texture editing. If you come up with a cool item I'll be happy to do the other steps.

Here's a summary from an earlier post/thread
    (I still have very few items, and the Guitar Axe remains the best so far IMHO)
    ----
    Summary of the current state of things:
    The current process is to use the item editing tools (ITEM_Tool and LMT by me, or others like SZS_Modifier), and make up something cool. Test it and refine it on your Wii (USB Gecko recommended, but you can do it with regular WiiBrew and a lot of SD swapping)
    If you come up with something cool, post it and/or send it to me. I'll clean it up where necessary, and release it as OHDLC (unless it is totally lame).
    Then after we have enough candidate OHDLCs, we'll have an informal vote to pick the best one/ones to release as permanent HDLCs.
    [BTW: I need more items, so if you figured out how to use the item editing tools before, please consider dusting them off to make something new and cool]