Thread: milkshape 3d

Default milkshape 3d

how do i get it to load brres files?

I don`t think you can. Milkshape is for 3d modeling, not editing Nintendo proprietary files.
    http://siestacat.webs.com/GetAttachment.jpg

crap. dspet said it was good. how do i convert one to a brres file?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hyperonion View Post
    crap. dspet said it was good. how do i convert one to a brres file?
    Pretty sure he knows how to, the program doesnt do it for you.

Say what you mean, mean what you say, and let your actions speak for you.

There are several model editing techniques (for AC:CF):

"ITEM_Tool" can be used for recoloring existing items.
    "LMT" can be used for editing existing items, changing sizes, orientations etc. You can't tweek individual polygons.
    These are my tools, but were abandoned because of lack of interest.

"SZS Modifier" does similar things as LMT, but has other features for individual polygon editing.
    ----
    Using MilkShape3D was an attempt to get more people interested in model editing. It can be used for creating brand new 3D models.
    I used it for the round spheres for the spinning PokeBalls, which I then merged into an existing .BRRES

----
    Bottom line: I've given up trying to make general purpose tools for 3D editing. There aren't enough people interested in it, and not enough is known about the BRRES details to make a totally general 3D modelling tool.

If you have an idea for a new cool DLC, please try the existing tools, and/or send me an email.
    The 1 year anniversary is coming up, and hopefully we can do something cooler than the DLCs released so far.

DSPet:

After making a model in Milkshape, how do merge them into existing .brres files?

> After making a model in Milkshape, how do merge them into existing .brres files?
    It is messy, email it to me and I'll take a look (no promises)

Be warned, my first comment will probably be: that's way too complex, reduce the number of polygons by X times (where X may be 2 or 20). To their credit, the Nintendo 3D modellers did a good job optimizing their models (also using efficient triangle strips). This makes the items smaller, and easier for the 3D engine in the Wii to render.

Couldn't you just give us an example? Like a tutorial on how to merge the files and how many polygons you need?

> Like a tutorial on how to merge the files and how many polygons you need?
    ---
    TO REPEAT: It is messy,

FWIW: here's what I did for the spinning PokeBalls 3D model (texturing was done separately)
    I used MilkShape-3D to model a simple sphere. I experimentally determined the max size (small enough to fit, but big enough to look round enough). In this case "7 stacks, 12 slices".
    I exported it as a "Text" file (very simple 3D file format: final results 74 points, 144 faces/triangles)

I found an existing item, the spinning shells, and extracted the MDL0 file (ITEM_Tool will do that for you)

(now the hard part)
    Then I wrote a program to read in the binary MDL0 file for the old spinning shells, and the text file for the new Milkshape3D model, and merge them (along with rotating the 3D model, scaling it to adapt from MilkShape3D coordinates to AC:CF coordinates, and other BRES specific tricks and optimizations...)
    (FWIW: you are welcome to the C++ source code to the utility, but I doubt it will make sense; ie. very few comments)
    ----
    The maximum size (number of triangles) will depend on the existing BRRES you want to modify. This is not a general 3D tool, it is a hack to squeeze in something new into an existing game. If you are designing 3D models with 1000s of faces, there is no chance it will fit.

NOTE: My tool does not do triangle optimization. MilkShape3D exports triangles only. A smarter tool would do 'triangle strip' optimization which can save significant space. Most of the built in 3D models use triangle strips a lot to save space. We don't have access to the tools that Nintendo uses.

(messy ... another reason that trying to write a general tutorial is a waste of time)
    Last edited by DsPet; 11-10-2009 at 05:24 PM.

Alright. I'd love to take a look at the source if you were willing to give it out.

Hey DSPet. I was fooling around with MilkShape and would like to email a model to you to inspect and possibly help me through the messy proscess of making it into a brres file. What is your email address?