Thread: I have an idea :p

Blog Entries

Default I have an idea :p

For ACWW

Well, some of my friends suggested this, and I think it MAY be possible

You know how the game stores buried items? Like, how it changes a 0 to a 1 if the item is buried?

I'm guessing the game stores "forbidden" spaces the same way
    Like, you walk towards the river, and it stops you. The game must store this in memory somewhere, and it changes based on what acres you have, etc

If my guess is right, then you can modify it and make your own usable areas where guests can walk. That way they can't enter certain areas

I've noticed that all of these unusable spaces have a certain simple structure, like

it's either a straight line facing left right up or down, or a diagonal line facing that same direction. Never anything different.

I can make a routine that does the following:
    First, you decide the unusable areas by placing a certain item down. Something very uncommon, maybe hex code 1DED
    Then, a routine searches for those items, and each time it finds them it changes that area in memory to "blocked"

Or even better, I can make a routine very much like Real-time world edit, and you press a button to place a "forbidden" area under you

Well. I hope you can maybe work things out....

Nice idea. I really need to learn ASM =D
    http://siestacat.webs.com/GetAttachment.jpg

FWIW: I never looked at this for AC:WW, but I did look at it for AC:CF (to figure out how to generate the 'acre' bitmaps).

The buried item bitmap is stored in the gamesave (for both AC:WW and AC:CF). That means if you change one bit, it changes the game, and for visitors too.

The geography/geometry of the town is decided by the acre values. You can change those in the gamesave too (for both AC:WW and AC:CF), but only to the canned values. Visible to visitors too.

-----

If you want more specific control, you need a runtime cheat code (ie. Ocarina/GeckoOS code). This is a real-time super world edit. You can change the behavior of each "cell" in the game. You can turn it into a blocked area, or adjust the altitude. In my earlier experiments I created a hidden "ramp" inside of a cliff. I never got around to trying it for placing items (they won't be saved in the gamesave)

If interested in exploring AC:CF with a USB Gecko, start looking at memory address $916FC2EC (US version). That's the entire world expanded out. 7x7 acres. Each acre is 16x16 "cells". There are 10 bytes of data for each "cell". $1EA00 bytes total.
    The 10 bytes of data are not well undestood. The original versions come from the game disc depending on the 7x7 acres ("blockCol.bin" found in BgData/Always/always.arc)

NOTE: this is for changing the behavior of your character in your town. Visitors will only see some of the changes. For example if you make a hidden ramp, you can walk up it, but visitors can't. Visitors will see you walking up the ramp, but they can't follow. Other tricky stuff is possible.
    Last edited by DsPet; 08-29-2009 at 10:34 AM.

Blog Entries

That is some very interesting information, DsPet. Thanks so much! I'm also very interested in this now.
    Animal Crossing: City Folk
    ACToolkit - NPC_Tool - PattView

Blog Entries

If I could find some place selling a USB Gecko, I'd do this for AC:CF

My original idea was to just do this by a coordinates system, but that would be much more complicated and would only work for your character

Hmm, Dragonboy. I got an idea I think this is how Crusader did it back when I seeded I think he used Animalmap and put rivers kinda as boundaries then you could use rtwe and put patterns on the top?