I'm working on a save editor for this game. I plan on doing what Tanooki does, however, my goal is to allow the user to extract the .bin file from the Wii, edit the .bin and reinsert it without requiring the Homebrew channel. I'm using Sehger's Wii tools to decrypt/encrypt the .bin file and extract the .sav file.

I have the basic portion of the .sav file hacked (coins, items, power ups, lives, start world, etc.), but there are so many unknowns that it just isn't funny. I'd like to be able to allow the user to fully complete the save slot, giving 5 flashing stars, but this requires more information than I have. I have downloaded a supposedly completed save file and compared this to the one that Tanooki completes and they are much different. The level data in the downloaded save file shows "00 00 00 FF" for each level, but Tanooki writes "00 00 00 17". There is data immediately past the star coin video part of the file that is unknown and Tanooki doesn't touch, however, the downloaded file has all of these bytes set to "FF". There are also strings of bytes around the score that I cannot figure out. Typically, I see "01 02 03 04" or "02 03 04 01". I assume that these values relate to the four players, but I'm not sure how. Then there are the 1600 or so bytes prior to the first save slot and it appears that there are five save slots instead of the expected three.

Anyway, clearly there is massive amounts of information that I am missing and my Google searches have been fruitless.

It isn't my goal to compete with Tanooki and I started this project before I found out about Tanooki. Hopefully no one takes offense to me doing this.