Thread: Help on testing Turnip v0.2 (homebrew application)

Default Help on testing Turnip v0.2 (homebrew application)

If you have been using Turnip v0.1 or have an interest in homebrew applications, would you please help me testing the new version Turnip v0.2 (currently in beta testing stage). This turnip application allows users to check their towns turnip prices for the whole week.

I have added new functionalities in this simple homebrew application:
    1. Using xml setting/input file to set directories and filenames
    2. Changing turnip prices for the whole week (so you could have any trends that you want)

I have managed to reverse-engineer the checksum algorithm for RVFOREST.DAT, nevertheless, please make a copy of your RVFOREST.DAT file first before using or testing the second functionality. And yes, the processing time for updating the prices will take quite a time since it first try to make a backup savegame file.

Please let me know your feedback/comment/thoughts.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Blog Entries

Could've saved some time and just asked Virus or DsPet for the checksum algorithm. They've had it since day one.
    Animal Crossing: City Folk
    ACToolkit - NPC_Tool - PattView

Vash they wouldn't even give it to J.P.?
    Looks really good So it runs on the Wii in homebrew channel?

Remember to always click the thanks button of those who help you! It makes them feel wanted:

Area51_Hacker2 -- Thanks for the comments, and yes it runs on HBC.

Vash -- I know that you, Virus and DSPet should have the algorithm since you all have developed great tools that change the content of RVFOREST.DAT without any corrupted file issues. Nevertheless, I would like to learn how to extract such an information from the game itself. It is quite amazing to see that this gamesave file has quite a number of checksums for various sections of the file (e.g. like two for each character's segment in the file).

Cheers.

Default Why?

Uhhm. Nice app but..
    Why do we need this app, cauze you can only use this tool if you have hacked your Wii. BUT if your Wii is hacked you can use ACToolkit, and add lots of Bells. So then you don't need the trading prizes of turnips to get 'lots of Bells'.

Anyway, nice tool.
    Features:
    » Create your own profile page
    » Place mini-updates like Twitter
    » Add your town specefications
    » Upload videos and pictures
    » And much more...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AnWiimal-Crossing View Post
    Uhhm. Nice app but..
    Why do we need this app, cauze you can only use this tool if you have hacked your Wii. BUT if your Wii is hacked you can use ACToolkit, and add lots of Bells. So then you don't need the trading prizes of turnips to get 'lots of Bells'.

Anyway, nice tool.
    ACToolkit requires a PC. Maybe some people don't always have access to a PC. Maybe they like to play the game without completely hacking. I'm sure there are people that have their reasons for using this. It's a pretty cool app, nonetheless.
    Animal Crossing: City Folk
    ACToolkit - NPC_Tool - PattView

re: CRC algorithm
    It is the standard CRC32 (ie. if it works the first time and after a single byte modification, it should work all the time)

re: WiiBrew vs. PC
    The more approaches the merrier.

-----
    Semi related: For anyone who hasn't seen it already, check out http://www.kurtboyer.com/guides/Anim...k/StalkMarket/

This is a pure "black box" approach to analyzing the game. What is going on inside the game is a mystery. And the results are not perfect.

In comparison, what we usually do on this forum is "white box" (ACToolkit, Turnip WiiBrew or runtime cheat codes). When you know what is going on inside the game you can change it to make it do what you want with 100% reliability (give or take bugs, or misunderstandings of how things work)

To the credit of the Nintendo engineers, the "stalk market" part of the game has got a lot of people thinking of ways to cheat it (with or without hacking ;-).

@AnWiimal-Crossing -- Thanks for your comments, and a little bit of history: It started for me just for learning building Wiibrew application, and also for satisfying my own need (to check the prices only once a week, i.e. Monday night, in case I need to open the town for friends to sell their turnips). But then people and friends asked for improvements or new features, so here we are on v0.2.

@Vash -- Thanks for your comments, I always like your PattView application, it gives me great opportunities to keep learning the art of mural.

@DSPet -- Thanks for your comments, this Wiibrew application is relatively a simple one, nevertheless, building this app has encouraged me to learn more about ACCF game (inside the box). And yes, it is a standard CRC-32 algorithm (just in case someone wants to try this, since there are several CRCs in the file, please be noted that the initial value could be different than standard, as an example, for the last CRC of 0x200000 bytes).

Cheers.

Thumbs up

i came across this app for the first time last week on the HBB. works like a charm. thanks so much. now i know when to leave my gates open for friends ahead of time.

Thanks for testing it, and I am glad it is useful for you.

Cheers.