Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: "Hacked" DLC - the New Plan (comments please)

Default "Hacked" DLC - the New Plan (comments please)

FYI: the Item Tool editing tools and the "New Plan" have been discontinued.
    For a number of reasons, item editing tools and the process are too complicated to use, discuss and share their results.

------
    OLD CONTENT:
    Background:
    As you may know I released 3 test DLC items into the community. Thanks for those WiiBrew users that helped give/sell them. It spread like a virus (lower case "v").
    The community is concerned that Hacked DLC may screw up their games. The community is safe right now. We can keep it safe if we work together.

It takes time and effort to create new items, even longer if you want them to be *good* items.

The New Plan: (a proposal)

Anyone interested in making new items will use a set of Windows tools to edit the 3D models, textures etc. They can test them on a Wii by using USB Gecko (for fast turn around). They can not release them as "DLC".
    Details on these tools are TBD (they are in a primitive form now, so don't expect them for a few weeks)

When the person/team creating the new item is done, they post it here (or somewhere on the web) in test form, including screenshots showing off their work. The AC:CF community (people here and on the non-Wiibrew boards) get to vote for the best. The 'winner' is turned into a DLC.

The item is cleaned up as necessary, translated to other languages and packaged as a "DLC".
    For greatest impact, say at most every couple of weeks, the new DLC is released to the world. Credit for the new item goes to the person/team creating them.
    As shown with the LightSabres, even items that are not-catalogable can quickly spread when AC:CF players think they are cool. We now have a process and a network for major giveaways/sales.
    (smaller release strategies are possible to keep certain items rare for a longer time)

-----
    Q&A:
    Q: Why so slow? I want to create 100s of new items now!

A: There are many reasons why going slow is a good thing.

- It takes time to write tools to do the graphic item editing. Most of these are 3D and the current version is too lame.
    - Everything works best if we don't release a lot of items at once. We have approximately 250 remaining slots and we have to share them with Nintendo. You can have overlaps, but it raises some issues.
    - We should focus on fewer, higher quality cool items. Hacked DLC should never be as lame as the 'top'.
    - As we learn more, the items will become better and better.
    - We can see and learn from what Nintendo does (eg: will they ever release DLC outside of Japan?)
    - Keeps the game alive (potentially for years). Keeps AC:CF hacking in the spotlight (hopefully in a good way)
    - Shares the credit. When released worldwide, the person/team creating the item gets all the credit.

Q: Every two weeks?
    A: That's just a guess. The time period will depend on the number of good items that are created (ie. very few at the start). At say 4 DLCs per month, we can milk this for years.

Q: Why vote?
    A: It brings more people into the decision process. That way people receiving the DLC in the regular community won't complain (as much ;-). Also I don't want to decide the priorities.

Q: A Vote? What about the runner up?
    A: The vote is an easy way to release a few really good items at a time. It also lets the person/team who created it to have their "15 minutes of fame". The runner up gets the spotlight next time.

Q: Why can't I do everything myself?
    A: There are technical reason for centralizing the release process. That's one of the things scaring the regular community. Also for good quality items, you should translate the item names, clean up the graphics etc. There are other people here who can help on this.

Q: Why let regular users (non-hackers) vote?
    A: Why not? They are the ones salivating over the prospect of new DLCs and not waiting for Nintendo. Also they won't complain (as much) when they are part of the process. Also they come up with some pretty good ideas some times.

Q: What if Nintendo blocks Hacked DLC?
    A: We'll deal with that if and when it happens. If people follow the "New Plan" then we shouldn't be in conflict with Nintendo DLC.

Q: What if an 'evil hacker' breaks the system?
    A: We'll deal with that if and when it happens (hopefully later rather than sooner). Hopefully most smart hackers don't like breaking things (ie. are good hackers). By working with fellow 'good hackers' they can get mondo-credit world-wide for their creations (see Credit section of the plan). Or put another way:

DLC is very powerful - please don't screw it up.

---
    Thanks for reading this far.
    (comments please, comments on the plan, especially the USB Gecko part)
    (please no suggestions for new items)
    Last edited by DsPet; 05-25-2009 at 09:54 AM.

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to DsPet For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

You used my idea I suggested having people vote each month on the best item created, and the winner's item is turned into DLC.
    But anyway, what about people who don't have a USB Gecko? I'm getting one soon, but a lot of other people don't have one.

I like the idea of the vote system so we don't have to see a bunch of people acting like the sky is falling because of information gathered by people who have no clue what they are talking about. But my 2 questions are, will you only be able to insert the items into the game using usb gecko. And if they are in your game what will other people view in your house if the item doesn't have online capabilities?

>what about people who don't have a USB Gecko?
    The proposal is that the first version will require USB Gecko for testing (there are a number of reasons for this, some technical, some practical). Quick turn around is important for testing 3D models (ie. the 3D tools will not be very good without it - it isn't going to be 3DMAX ;-). If working as a team only one person needs to have one, and they are pretty cheap.
    > And if they are in your game what will other people view in your house if the item doesn't have online capabilities?
    Like other local hacks they see their version of the world - without any item changes (eg: it will look like the stock graphics)
    Last edited by DsPet; 01-19-2009 at 04:42 PM.

I'm usually the eager one, but this sounds like a safe entering plan, and of course can be tweaked as we move on. I think it will work great, I myself dont use USB gecko, but letting people create and test new items sounds like an excellent and professional idea that can spark a community of its own.

If the blue Pikmin hat was put in the catalog, then I beleive the only reason light sabers didnt make it in is because they are tools, which are not in the catalog.

I can try and help deliver messages of this new and peacful DLC to the community later to settle them down. Other than that, good luck and thanks again for all of your work DsPet.

Blog Entries

When someone wins that contest, will we be able to install it the same way as your DLC?

> When someone wins that contest, will we be able to install it the same way as your DLC?
    Yes that's the idea. For world-wide release it will work exactly like the light-sabre release (we may do something smaller for more limited releases, perhaps giving the winner a short time to brag to his friends before it takes over the world...)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DsPet For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Well, now I want to buy a usb gecko lol

I'd love to be a part of this team!!! Imagine that, I'm on DSPet's team

But I start real work next week I mean I'm really really happy for getting a real job but wish I had time too to be on this team.
    Last edited by serenity; 01-19-2009 at 09:08 PM.

Thumbs up

great plan..id be more than happy get a new item every two weeks.. especially one we all vote on help make and finally release.... itll make the items all that sweeter.. ps i have a gecko, sign me up.
    Last edited by XAlucarDX454; 01-19-2009 at 06:50 PM.